1. I used to hate cooking (as you’ll know if you’ve read this post). Partly because I was rebelling against my mum, and partly because it looked so damned hard and time-consuming. Today, I’m all about convenience. I’m also lucky that my mum and two sisters are very good cooks and whip up a scrumptious five-course meal (with paired wines) in the blink of an eye.
2. I’ve travelled to 56 countries (so far), and I aim to visit a new country every year. For 2015, the new country will either be somewhere in Europe, or possibly the Cook Islands…(Do you have any suggestions? If so, please pop them in the comments below!)
3. I got engaged to my husband at the very-very top of the Empire State building in NYC. We eloped to Italy two years later, where we married in Ravello (overlooking the Amalfi Coast). The elopement was conducted by Ravello’s Mayor, in front of my parents, their best-friends, and two of our friends. At the end of the service, the Mayor said we would come back with many bambinis…So far we have one bambino
4. As a teenager, I was leaning towards being a fashion designer. I was always top of my art classes, studied ‘Dolly’ magazine profusely, and sewed constantly under my mum’s guidance. When I was 16, I had the opportunity to change schools and go to an art school – I kinda wish I’d stuck to my dream, however, I’m making up for lost time now.
5. I studied Fashion at Central Saint Martins in London. It was heaven.
6. In my early 20s I travelled with six girlfriends in a combi-van across Europe for six months. I can’t tell what you what happened in Ibiza when we were there for a week, nor can I share what happened when we attended Oktoberfest in Munich (what goes on tour, stays on tour…)
7. I’ve lived in Australia (Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney and Perth), the UK (London for 3 years), Hong Kong, and Canada (Whistler).
8. I’ve done every personal development course ever imagined. With Tony Robbins being the most transformative and impactful (in my opinion).
9. I’m a secret shopper – which means the majority of the time I smuggle my purchases into the house when my husband isn’t looking (even though I’m spending my own money ). My husband cannot figure out why I need so many shoes?!?!
10. I practise yoga, Pilates, kettlebells, and light jogging most days of the week, but only one discipline at a time. Having a baby at 38 has made me more flexible about when I fit in my daily workout.
11. I’m a number four (with a three wing) on the Enneagram, which, for those of you who are intrigued, is the most incredible system for keeping your spirit moving towards your best integration. My husband is a number one, my son is a number seven, and my besties are all circling around number threes, and a nine.
12. I’m not afraid to admit that I love to have ‘Keeping Up with the Kardashians’ on the TV at night when I’m up working late on the laptop. These guys make late-night work stints fun for me, plus I’m studying their brilliance at social media… ha ha (I think Sheryl Sandberg would say the same…Lean In).
13. My favourite food (currently) to eat is Japanese. However, chocolate remains a stayer 24/7
14. I get cabin fever terribly. Just check out my Instagram if you don’t believe me. I’m always out, exploring new places.
15. My preferred coffee of choice is not coffee – it’s a large soy chai latte (I can’t drink coffee, it makes my heart race, and I can’t sleep for three days).
16. I am a summer person and am a true beach-bum.
17. I am a dog person – I’m suspicious of people who don’t like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn’t like a person.
18. When I was seven months pregnant, it suddenly dawned on me that this little person would dramatically alter my life and I asked my obstetrician for a refund (thank goodness she wasn’t able to process the refund )
19. My favourite country, so far, is Nepal. Yes, I have trekked Everest base camp, however, the best part was meeting all the beautiful Nepalese people along the journey – the children are divine.
20. My husband and I luuuurve to watch the latest Grand Designs shows on TV (both Aus and UK) . We’re both super busy on week-nights, so we tape all the episodes and once a month or so we watch a bunch of them on a Saturday or Sunday night.
21. I still know every word of every track from the 1987 INXS album, ‘Kick’.
So, now you know all about me – Michelle Carden. Would you like to share five little facts about yourself in the comments below? I’d love to get to know my readers better.